Monday, April 4, 2011

Are You Happy Here?


I understand that situations and circumstances are depended on how one chooses to react to them.  And if one chooses to make the most of what is presented in life; then a bad situation can be made into a good one.  The reason I am starting this blog on a positive note is because I have been told that my blog has a very bleak, negative, gloomy tone.  This comment is usually followed up with the question… ‘Are you happy here?’

Now in an attempt not to disturb the can of worms which look like might just burst if I dissect the answer to that question and send me off on the next plane out of here; I decided instead to compile a top 10 list on the things that I have enjoyed/discovered thanks to being here.

10.  Learning about a different culture and language
I am proud of the little Arabic I have been able to pick up

9.  Discovering Za’atar
A condiment made of dried herbs, Arab species, sesame seeds and dried sumac

8.  Discovering Labneh
A thickened, strained Arab yogurt

7.  Bounty Chocolate ice cream bars
Never knew it was possible to make Bounty Chocolate Bars any better, but making them into ice cream certainly did!

6.  Living alone
I have demonstrated to myself that I can live alone, although tough, I can do it           

5.  Arabic Sweets
Butter, sugar, nuts all married together in light, flaky, crisp pastry…need I explain more

4.  Dates (the fruit)
There are numerous varieties and many different things that can be done with them; like jams, drinks, mixing them with chocolate and/or nuts

3.  Seeing Camels
I still get excited when I see camels in the far distant roaming the desert.

2.  Exploring Abu Dhabi and Dubai
What tremendous cities to visit and explore; so much to offer and experience

1.    Costa Coffee
Do not think this one needs explanation

Bryan the Camel says…
           No wonder you’ve been getting heavy to carry around… over half the list is food related!

5 comments:

  1. ?????
    .
    .
    ??????????????
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    sigh
    .
    .
    .
    .
    .
    (i didn't make the list)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Labneh and zaatar! WHAT WHAT! Represent L-town.

    ReplyDelete
  3. some more thoughts...


    #10. It's true people.... Robby knows how to say Inshallah and Al Hamdullah

    #9. Za'atar - did you not know that it's an herb? not a blend??

    #6. Doesn't your pet rabbit count for something?

    #4. yummy, my favourite.

    #2. You need to get more often... i mean, 3 visits to abu dhabi is NOT enough... and there are a lot more emirates to explore...

    #1. Costa Coffee - and the world's MOST FRIGGIN AWESOME MUG!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. you have a pet rabbit?? you didn't tell me that! i LOVE rabbits!

    I was gonna comment about how all your positives are about food...

    Moral of the story: Live in Canada, buy imported Arabic food :P

    I like the cynical Robby! your funny & you match ME :D


    judymoody says:
    Credit River???

    ReplyDelete