Friday, January 14, 2011

What Is Cork?


Living in another country is bound to bring about culture shock.  That was something I knew and was ready for… or at least I thought I was.  I can now see more clearly the bubble I was carrying when I stepped off the plane and entered the UAE.

Some culture shock situations that I have awkwardly walked myself right into are:
·  Sticking my hand out to shake the hand of a Muslim woman when I was introducing myself – It was the first day and I was nervous.
·  Clearing off my tray in the food court of the mall when I was done eating – The cleaning staff was confused as to why I was doing their job.
·  Sitting at the front of the bus a.k.a the women section of the bus – I failed to see the sign, oops!
·  Asking what is that sound at 5 am that wakes me up everyday – I did not realizing it was the announcement of Fajr, the first prayer of the day, from the nearby mosque.

I wish I could tell you that these kinds of culture shock situation have ceased, unfortunately I find myself in them almost on a weekly bases, (however none to the degree of awkwardness as to when I put my hand out to shake that women’s hand, that one takes the cake).  These situations occur mostly in class when I am in the middle of explaining a science concept.  The first time this happen to me was a really eye opener and it made me realize the grand task I had ahead of me in teaching in the UAE.

There I was starting the first lesson of the school year, I began to explain what was a cell and how Robert Hooke first discovered the cell when investigating cork tissue.  That’s when I got the question that completely caught me off guard… What Is Cork?

Now you may be thinking, what is so big about that, cork is something easy to explain.  However how does one explain cork to a group of Muslim students… it tops what kind of bottles? Wine? What’s that?... Yeah try digging yourself out of that hole. 

Over the months similarly situations have arisen, usually when trying to use an example to help clarify a concept.  Unless of course the example you are using involves either camel, cow or palm tree, because after that there aren’t many other living things living here.  But I have adapted and have found the learning experience very interesting.

Bryan The Camel says…
            Grab on to the rope, I’ll pull you out of the hole.

2 comments: