Saturday, January 8, 2011

Who sells the best shawarma?

When I decided on moving to the UAE (United Arab Emirates) to work as a science teacher last summer there was a lot that I didn’t know about the country I was going to call home for a for a little while.  I knew that that native tongue was Arabic and that I spoke none, (I have actually learned 15 Arabic words in the past 4 months and use them as often as possible.  My favourite being ‘hamdalla’, which mean ‘praise to God’) and I knew that shawarmas would be good there.  For those who do not know what a shawarma is, it is like a sandwich/wrap with shaved meat, either chicken, lamb or beef, tomato, lettuce and/or other toppings and a sauce, usually garlic.

Well I was right, shawarmas are sold everywhere, there is a different shop on every corner and each one claims that they make the best shawarma in the world.  So, this got me thinking… Who sells the best shawarma?

Now I have had my share of shawarmas since living here and I always try to go to some place different and see how they are made differently.  The one thing that always stays the same for me is that I always get chicken.  I’ve had shawarmas with many different toppings: tomatoes, lettuce, pickles, French fries, dried fruit and so on and different types of bread and sauces. (The worst shawarma I’ve had was made with no sauce or toppings, it was just dry chicken and bread; couldn’t even finish the thing).  I’ve had them from side street vendors and fast food places to formal restaurants and they are always different in each place.  But my vote for the best shawarma is actually found in a grocery store called Lulu Hypermarket.  I know what you are thinking, ‘a grocery store!?!?’  But trust me it is unbelievably good!  This grocery store has a huge prepared meal section, one that would put the prepared meal section in the grocery stores back home to shame.

The shawarmas at Lulu are made with very thin Lebanese bread and the shaved chicken is married with French fries, pickles and the most outstanding garlic sauce that leaves you not wanting to talk with anyone after you’ve had one.  So, when you find yourself in the UAE go visit lulu for a great shawarma.

Bryan the Camel says…
            Chicken Shawarmas from Lulu for dinner tonight!

2 comments:

  1. mmmBONUSS! I need to try lulu ones, then I will be a real baller, like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok so this week i'll introduce you to the ones on khalifa street. seriously, the fact that you love the lulu ones means you need more education! :)

    ReplyDelete